Even though DOOH (Digital Out of Home) advertising has been around for some time, it took some effort to hone in on the most effective ways to employ it. What has become noticeably clear, is that DOOH is here to stay, and it just gets more sophisticated as time goes on and new technologies develop. A report by UpBeat has recently confirmed that the DOOH market will take a large chunk from advertising budgets, hitting around $8,3bn (just in the USA) by 2023. As a result, new trends are introduced all the time by innovative tech companies, and these innovations help advertisers not only stream relevant content to their potential clients but also to gather information from them.
Here are some of the new trends emerging on the DOOH market that helps users to make their advertising strategies a lot more effective:
- Omnichannel: Mobile advertising is having a huge impact on users, but this technology has now been extended to billboards. Online advertising via mobile phones, computers, email and social media can seamlessly be integrated for optimum results! It is also possible to combine several campaigns on the same platforms – which provides much better ROI.
- Dynamic creation: When it comes to other digital marketing strategies, DOOH still falls behind on the engagement ratio. This is because a lot of brands are still choosing to use OOH with static images instead of progressing to DOOH which can be integrated with other platforms. Relevant DOOH can increase awareness of a brand by 18%, according to Virtuo City in the UK. Severe creativity is needed to enhance these campaigns, and here are some ideas about how to do this, using new trends in DOOH.
- Geo-targeting: Locating relevant messaging via DOOH can draw people to local events and outlets. For instance, where there are a lot of truck drives passing, put a billboard pointing them to a restaurant or truck stop nearby. During evening hours in the city, use DOOH to draw people to your pub and advertise your happy hour! You can even use this example to direct students outside of a university or college to drive them to a retail store or shopping mall.
- Weather: What? Weather? Yes, weather! DOOH can be used to measure temperature and direct accordingly. For instance, on an ice-cold day, users can be directed to the nearest store selling heaters, warm clothing or electric blankets. On a hot day, they can be directed towards the nearest ice cream store! Weather plays a big part in behaviour, so why not use this to your advantage.
- Commuters: While billboards have been pointing towards commuters for decades, it is now possible to create a more captive audience. City people spend a lot of hours per year commuting – via it is by train, underground or vehicle. Ads can now be generated to respond to specific traffic conditions by providing geo-targeted options for commuters.
As marketers, it is continuously crucial to come up with new, creative and innovative strategies to reach audiences. DOOH is still one of the most cost-effective ways to do this, and its popularity is only increasing. Call our team at Face First Media to find out more about this.