Small or medium enterprises often do not have large marketing budgets and every penny must be carefully applied for maximum impact. Exposure is critical to get the brand noticed and to persuade customers to invest in the brand, and often the budget does not stretch far enough to cover television, radio or print advertising costs. There are cheaper ways to advertise such as delivering brochures, but these are very localised. One of the most cost-effective ways that maximise marketing impact is the use of billboards. Because their vantage points tend to tower over cities and buildings, they are easy to notice. The impact of the billboard can easily be lost by poor design, and therefore a great design concept is critical.
- Know your strategy: The advertising needs of a small business are just as important as those of a large corporate. The primary objectives of the advertising campaign must be carefully considered. Priorities must be identified and focus on the most vital points only to get the results you need.
- Count your words: People cannot read a lot of text while driving, which is why the fewer words you use, the better. You can still create impact with a good image and a few words. Do include the name of the business and perhaps a memorable hashtag or message in less than ten words.
- Text and font: The font must be clear and easy to read from a distance. Ensure there is enough contrast between the font and the background to make the text jump out more. Use different fonts for your text and for the company logo or contact details.
- Impress with images: A picture can sell a concept in one glance. High resolution, bold images have an immediate impact in seconds, so you must choose the images well to get the right message across.
- Be daring with content: Utilise the surprise element to catch attention. Humour can also be used very effectively. People love to be entertained and using images that display the benefits of the product often results in better recall. Often people will also tell others about a funny or impactful billboard they saw, and this helps to market your brand even more effectively.
If you have a small business and would like to increase your advertising impact, billboards yield great results. Contact our team at Face First Media for more information.